Your baby’s first birthday is a huge milestone. You’re not only celebrating their birthday but your one year anniversary of becoming a family. There are plenty of options for how you can commemorate such an event. Birthday parties, family portrait sessions, or my personal favorite… a cake smash.
What’s a cake smash? Well, see a baby’s first birthday is also the first time he/she will get to experience the cake. The icing, the sugar, the candles. And I’d capture the moment in a festive setting. Decor and props are all provided. The only thing need to bring is the cake… and the baby of course.
How to Prepare
Cake Smash sessions can go in many different ways. Some kids end up liking cake, others get scared at the sheer site of it. Some are very clean when interacting with cake, while others will get super messy. There are ways to prepare your baby for the cake smash experience.
- Let your baby try some cake in advance to see how they react.
- Get a cake that’s low on sugar
- Stick to neutral colored icing to avoid staining
- Have them were something light, comfortable, and easily washable
- Bring a snack they do enjoy as a way of enticing them towards the cake
- Manage your expectations as these sessions are very 50/50, but they have the potential to be amazing
I deliver you professionally edited images via digital download one week after your family photography session. I don’t sensor the images. You get the good, the bad, and the funny. These are all standard edits included in my package prices. If you have more advanced edits in mind, I can provide a custom quote. This would be based on the complexity of the request. Upgrades such as albums, canvases, and prints are available as well but you can decide on these once you’ve had a chance to review the images.
I also photographed this family’s:
- maternity shoot
- the older son’s cake smash
- an extended family session
- holiday portraits
- newborn session